Monday, October 17, 2011

Flexibility Gains through "Gravity Yoga" - Part 1

This week I started working out with a flexibility DVD. The teacher, Lucas Rockwood , claims to have a stretching program of 15 minutes a day that can dramatically increase your flexibility over a short amount of time. By targetting key muscles and using what he calls "gravity yoga stretches" and changing by your diet to one rich in greens and with his special mail-order only dietary supplements, he goes so far as to claim that he can double your flexbility. I first came across Lucas Rockwell in a web search for some kind of DVD or book that could help me improve my own flexibility. After several years of dance and now yoga, I remember peaking at a certain point in flexiblity and then not making discernable gains. Certain positions in yoga are likley harder for me than a more flexible person because I am working harder at finding the positions. I always feel I am working to go beyond my maximum, while more flexible students can work more within a comfort zone and thus work less hard. This has always disconcerted me. I am not inflexible, but I would say certain things such as tight hamstrings have always limited the range of motion I would ideally like to have. I'm sure you know many people who feel the same way. Perhaps even yourself. On Youtube, I found many video clips by Lucas Rockwood about how to do various yoga poses successfully. What struck me about him was his clear matter of fact instructional style that made it sounds like anyone could learn to do any pose. Also, he was incredibly flexible and could do an upward bow or wheel like none other! I thought maybe this guy could help me if he had a DVD or something. What was his secret? I looked around the Internet and sure enough he has his own website (www.yogabodynaturals.com/ ) and --- a yoga stretch DVD! This week I started using the DVD considering I have nothing to lose except the $26 or so dollars I paid to order it... Please note I will be skipping on all of his powder or dietary supplements. It is possible that there is something to good diet and improving your stretches - but it is important to maintain a successful workout that is an affordable one and forgo pricey designer brand neutraceuticals if possible. I will update on my progess and see whether there is anything to his gravity yoga stretches or whether it is just a clever gimmick or marketing ploy. Stay tuned, and see whether (or not) I can get "bendier"!

No comments:

Post a Comment