Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Journey - Epilogue

After working on my yoga DVDs for a few months, I finally came across the only yoga studio in Kirishima called Yoga Mala. Yoga Mala as it turns out is more of a single teacher, Yorie, who teaches yoga in different places in town than one actual studio. I decided to give her class a try and found that I really enjoyed Yorie's easy-paced Hatha yoga class. Rather than the fast-paced Vinyasa flow classes I was used to in New York or on my DVDs, Yorie's classes focus more on holding poses correctly for long periods of time. However, this difference is in fact a very positive thing for me. Her class is a great opportunity for me to learn to do my yoga poses correctly, and ask her questions about things I am trying to learn on my own at home. It also connects me to a local community of yoga friends who I can talk to about yoga! I now take her class once a week at a community center near my home, and keep up a home practice 4 or 5 days a week - along with my tai chi long form.

Where my journey will take me next, I do not know. There are certainly directions I'd like to take my journey. If learn to do more advanced postures and sequences of yoga, I might even try a yoga teacher training course and try my own hand at teaching at a community center or at my work. While this path in my journey is by no means certain, my yoga teachers have all agreed on one thing:

The path of a yogi is never complete.
All students and all teachers are aspiring yogi.

At first the idea of a never ending journey felt a little daunting, but I have come to a new understanding that I need to approach my journey with patience, dedication, and realistic expectations. I am very excited at how far I have come, and the never ending road ahead - everyone on their own journey - forever aspiring yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment