Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Journey - Part 1

My journey began a long time ago - probably back when I was taking theater arts classes at high school - probably when I had a few minor roles in school plays... It wasn't how things were supposed to happen to me as I remember. I was supposed to go off out west to study archaeology - my other passion at the time. I had already volunteered in high school on an archaeology dig and continued helping out at the Cataraqui Archaeological Research Foundation in Kingston, Ontario once a week on volunteer nights.

I remember the dismay and concern of my father who was very generously paying my entire way through college. We had a lengthy man-to-man talk after I had come back home after my first year of college where told him I had auditioned and been accepted to both the theater program and dance program at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver. Instead of focusing on digs and memorizing timelines of pre-historic human development, I had spent the entire year working on a university play about the Nuremburg trials after the fall of Nazi Germany called The Investigation by Peter Weiss. Ironically the director and guest teacher that year was Peter Elliot Weiss - no relation! I also was enrolled in acting classes each term as an elective class, and was auditing a dance class.

Every time I went to my Archaeology lectures, they seemed dismally like hard science. I wondered how a bunch of science nerds could reconstruct past lifestyles and cultures if they lacked the creativity and cultural understanding of an artist. Perhaps looking back, I was unfairly judgemental, but I suppose I used that to fuel my new found passion. I told my father in no uncertain terms that I wanted to study to be dancer - and so perhaps it was then that my journey truly began with its first big step...

On the left dancing at Simon Fraser University, and on the right some 20 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment