Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Journey - Part 10

When we arrived in Kirishima, I was surprised at how normal life was. Apart from one single product shortage - certain brands of cigarettes - the supermarket shelves were fully stocked, people were going to work and school, and somehow remarkably the economy of Japan held steady. We checked radiation reports, and found that we were very safe - and had moved to the part of Japan with the lowest risk of tropical storms and the lowest risk of earthquakes. Apart from the usual chore of settling in to a new home, a new job, and in our case - life in a new country, we were doing pretty well.


The one problem I had with the move was that I couldn't find a yoga studio anywhere. There were apparently none. I was disappointed. I was really excited by my yoga classes in New York City, and I really didn't want to give up my yoga dream so soon. I had just started yoga, so what could I do? I remember thinking back to my visits to Barnes & Nobles bookstores in New York and seeing Rodney Yee yoga DVDs over and over again in the exercise section. My sister-in-law had tried a DVD of his, but said it was "just okay." Without a live teacher available, I had no choice but do the next best thing. I ordered some yoga DVDs on Amazon.com featuring a few famous American yoga teachers and took a chance on a few by Rodney Yee because of favorable product reviews. Despite having only "virtual" teachers to work with, I persevered with a home yoga practice. I was amazed that I was able to keep up my inspiration with just DVDs, and even improve my yoga in a short amount of time! Within a couple of months, Rodney Yee, my teacher who I had never met and probably never will, had patiently and successfully taught my to do an upward bow at the age of 40!


My upward bow in August!



My upward bows in October!

2 comments:

  1. what's the second picture position called when the cat goes under you? "feline upward bow" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I call it "Feline Under the Rainbow."

    ReplyDelete