Friday, December 16, 2011

On the Importance of Final Relaxation in Savasana

If you have taken some yoga, you are all familiar with savasana - the corpse pose - used as a final relaxation in many yoga classes. Because yoga engages your body with so many simultaneous stretch and strength exercises, it is extremely important to have some relaxation time at the end of your practice.

As I worked with my DVD yoga classes this year, I was always annoyed with how fast the teachers raced through the final relaxation. Two minutes wasn't cutting it for me. I noticed that the teacher Yorie at my Wednesday night yoga class includes between 10-15 minutes of relaxation in savasana at the end of her workout. I compared how I felt the next day.

After a 2 minute relaxation the way I practiced at home, I felt very sore all over - particularly in my back and in the backs of my legs. The day after Yorie's class, I felt only a little sore even though the intensity of the workout was similar to what I do at home.

Over the last few weeks, I listened to what my body needed and have routinely clicked the DVD player pause button on my controller at relaxation time. I haven't strictly timed my relaxation, but have stayed in relaxation until I really felt a peaceful sense of calmness not just in my mind, but throughout my whole body. About the time when I am wavering between thinking about my body and thoughts are drifting elsewhere into dreamland, I slowly get myself up to seating by rolling over to my side and taking a few breathes before siting.

For me, I like sitting in simple crossed legged pose or half-lotus position with my hands on my knees facing up - to draw power from the earth. I also to hold this longer than the DVD teachers do. Much like Yorie's class I prefer to do this for about 3-5 minutes (eyes closed), and then follow this with my hands in prayer position for 3-5 minutes (eyes half open) before bowing and saying namaste.

Compare a short relaxation time in your practice to a 10-15 minute relaxation time, and see if you can see the big difference too!

No comments:

Post a Comment